We're excited to share the release of firmware version 1.4.0 for Project Stellar. In this update, we will be tackling one of the last remaining mysteries of the original Xbox.
OEM Hard Drive Unlock and Key Recovery
From lost childhood saved games to lost media, such as DLC and title updates, the Xbox has historically had one problem. Losing the secret key to the hard drive meant no longer being able to access its contents.
With Project Stellar firmware update 1.4.0, that's no longer the case. Using advanced recovery techniques, we can now recover the hard drive key/password to any OEM hard drive.
It doesn't matter if the EEPROM is corrupt or if it's an entirely different board altogether. Stellar will automatically step you through recovery and the unlocking process.
Hard Drive Unlocking/Locking
In addition to hard drive key recovery, firmware v1.4.0 adds additional controls for manually unlocking and locking drives to the motherboard. This a great handy tool for people using Project Stellar as a recovery tool on other systems.
Open Source Contributions
- Implemented OEM hard drive key recovery tool.
- Attempt to unlock drives on boot with common/known keys.
- Added options for unlocking and locking hard drive.
- Fixed XboxHDMI/XboxHD+ v1 not being detected on systems with slower power on to boot times.
- Fixed issues related to Xbox One controller support and additional USB devices causing problems.
- Fixed TCP/IP fragmentation causing SHASUM error in firmware updater
- Fixed TCP/IP fragmentation causing FTP file transfer corruption.
- Fixed safe mode incorrectly triggering on 1.0 - 1.5 systems.
- Rearranged on-screen keyboard for IP addresses.
- Improved FTP performance.
Words can't describe how awesome it is to finally release this feature to everyone after over a year of development. None of this would have been possible without our incredible team, and we can't wait to share more discoveries here in the near future.
Firmware v1.5.0 is just around the corner, and we'll see you again very soon!